Sunday, April 05, 2009

1CO 12:26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

This was a statement made by Paul to the Corinthian church. I am beginning to understand the depth of what Paul is was trying to convey..... I have been at the hospital with my mom for the past two weeks and watching her "eat" through a feeding tube in her nose. She gets chocolate or vanilla protein shake; which she obviously can't taste. I find myself feeling something odd when I sit down and have a bowl of soup, yogurt or a hamburger. I began to understand where those feelings come from - I am hurting because she is hurting; she is my mom and I am very deeply emotionally vested in her.

I think this is what Paul wants us to experience within the body of Christ. We should be so emotionally vested in our brothers and sisters in the Lord that when one of them hurts, we hurt; when one of them is honored, we rejoice! I have to confess that often I do not weep and hurt for those who are hurting in my church family like I do for my biological family. I don't spend a ton of emotional energy really seeking the Lord for them. I am not really deeply emotionally vested in them.

I am beginning to understand that I have to emotionally invest BEFORE I will hurt with them. I am challenged to seek the Lord for those in my fellowship like Moses did for the Israelites (40 days and nights; read Deut. 9). This is where God wants me to live; only then can I really experience community; the oneness that God desires me to have with my brothers and sisters in the Lord. Start with me; start really emotionally investing in those around you; weep before the Lord for them.

1 comment:

  1. I really agree with what you're saying here, Sam. It's a powerful concept. Powerful because it's life changing, and powerful because it's so hard to do. Isn't this the idea behind love between brothers and sisters in Christ? I think it is, and it points to how bad we are at it.

    A few years ago, I started to realize just how badly I love others--how I only notice other people's difficulties when they're right in front of me asking for help. Otherwise, I just go about my life thinking about my own deal. Since then, it has been a process of slowly connecting with what others are going through and developing real empathy--feeling what others are feeling. I have by no means arrived on this yet.

    ReplyDelete