Sunday, November 13, 2011

Asking - Part Last

There are times when I simply do not know what to pray for.  When I learn of a death in the family of a close friend, when I hear of a child who has cancer, when there is a tragedy in the community - thees are the situations that I simply so not have words to express a request, a thanksgiving (in everything give thanks - don't really understand how to do that sometimes), or any other kinds of prayer.

I am comforted during these times by what Paul wrote to the church in Rome -

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will. (Rom 8:26-27)

The Spirit prays for me when I don't know what to pray.  When I don't have the words, He prays for me.  He has a direct line into the Father and represents us before Him. 

This is one of the most profound truths of scripture - that in the midst of my weakness, in the midst of my inability to comprehend how messed up the world is and how to communicate effectively with God, the Spirit prays FOR me.  He understands where my heart is and what my desires are and also understands that I do not have words to express what is going on in my heart.  HE goes to the Father and intercedes for me.  HE goes to the Father and expresses, requests, thanks for me.  HE communicates to the Father for me.  What an incredible asset in our prayer life!

Be liberated by this truth as you pray.  If you don't know what to pray, ask the Spirit to pray for you.  He is doing it anyway, it is just good to give Him credit!

No comments:

Post a Comment