Sunday, April 08, 2012

Been thinking more about complacency and how it impacts my spiritual life.  It is amazing to me how easily I slide into not doing the work that I know I need to do to maintain a relationship.  This is true not only with my relationship with God, but also in my other key relationships. I find this is true with my wife, my kids, etc.  I forget that relationships take work - time, thought focus, prayer, action, communication - relationships, good ones, long lasting ones - don't just "happen". 

From a spiritual sense, the work is on my end - God never moves away from a relationship with me; I move away from my relationship with Him.  One problem I is that I have an enemy that is relentless; who is, along with his forces, constantly working on moving me away from God (see Ephesians 6:12).  He is bent on ruining my relationship with God.  The other problem I have is me.  The human tendency, my tendency, is toward complacency, toward "resting on my laurels", toward moving away from God instead of toward Him, toward wanting something (a relationship) for nothing (no work), toward self centeredness and feeding my flesh, instead of being centered on God.  For sure the Spirit is working to maintain that relationship, but MYwork is to follow the Spirit and DO the things that I know I need to do.

I have to make conscious decisions, I have to consciously work,to maintain or I will slide.  If I let my guard down, if I coast, if I become complacent, if I rest on my laurels - my relationship with slide.

I guess that is why I wrote this.  I have to remind myself that I have to be diligent.

No comments:

Post a Comment