Sunday, April 22, 2012

Weeds #2

It was a while ago, but I think that I wrote about weeds.  I mean, I like my lawn to be weed free and I especially like my garden weed free.  As I stated before, there are some funny tings about weeds.  You never plant them - they just show up.  Some of them are very hardy and don't need a ton of water to live (when your yard is brown in August, there are still nice green spots of weeds!).  They tend to grow faster than what you are trying to grow.  They spread.

My daughter is having a graduation open house this summer so the I have a project list to accomplish around the house.  One of the projects is to clean up some of the landscape beds - in particular one that is really weed infested.  As I examined the area a couple of weeks ago, I sighed - TONS of weeds have overtaken the ornamental grasses that I had planted there a few years ago - in particular quack grass.  The problem with quack grass is that the roots go every where.  When I tried to weed it, I found the roots of the quack grass had wrapped itself around the roots of the ornamental grasses so I could not remove the weed without damaging the plant.  I finally decided that the only option I had was to spray Round Up on the whole area, kill everything and then start over.

Life lesson - don't let the weeds grow.  Get rid of the root of bitterness EARLY (Heb. 12:15) before it consumes you.  Get rid of the weeds in your life that are keeping you from experiencing the fullness of God - the weeds of disobedience, the weeds of a bad habit, the weeds of anger, the weeds of - pick your favorite sin. 

I am afraid if we don't get rid of the weeds in our lives, they will consume us - even Christians!  They will continue to grow until we find the fruitfulness of our lives overcome by the weeds of sin.  The lesson of this year was that if I don't take care of the weeds, there might be whole areas of my life that needs to be killed so that something good can grow.  Frankly, it seems a whole lot easier to pluck a few weeds in the short term then it is for God to have to wreak havoc in an area of my life because I allow the weeds to grow and consume me. (Did you hear who's responsibility it is to remove the weed?  Mine.  Yes I have the Spirit of God to help.  Yes the power of change comes from God, but I have to take the step to WANT to get rid of it.)

Start pulling those weeds today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment