Saturday, October 02, 2010

Was at a marriage conference this weekend - "Love and Respect". It was a great conference, if you ever get a chance to go, it is well worth it. It has been a very busy time over the past weeks, so my wife and I decided that we needed to dedicate this weekend for this conference, even though it meant missing some kid things.

Whenever we go to marriage conferences, we always end up having pretty intense discussions.(Isn't that one of the reasons we are supposed to go?) These discussions usually end up talking about something that I thought was "under control", but really isn't. I guess that I always think that I am farther along than I think I am. it kind of stinks to know that I still have lots of room to improve in my relationship with my wife - how I treat her, how I understand her, how I relate to her.

This really is a reflection on my whole spiritual life. I think that I am farther along than I am; I think that I am more holy than I am; I don't really realize how much I need to grow in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus. It is always good to be humbled. It doesn't feel good, but it is necessary. It keeps me understanding that I need God and I need Him to deliver me from sin every day.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that part of maturity, never being content with growth? How does that old saying go, "I hope to be better today than I was yesterday, but I'm not yet where I want to be tomorrow." ? or something like that.

    In the narcotics interdiction world, we police officers say, "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been." There's always something (in marriage, in work, in spiritual walk, in life) to improve upon.

    We've participated in the L&R video series, and now my wife and I are going thru the book with an adult study group. Good stuff therein!

    ReplyDelete